Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Birthday Blog

Today is my birthday. Yes, Halloween. It marks a quarter century of life in this United States. This birthday went by as most of them do for me without the usual fanfare associated with birthdays.

I woke up this morning around 6:30, took a shower and headed to an outpatient surgical center to have a swollen lymph node removed (a biopsy). This was not the first time I have been operated on (and not the first time I've been operated on on my birthday). Twelve years ago I had arthroscopic knee surgery on this day.

Potentially having cancer notwithstanding, any day with general anesthesia and codeine is a good one. I even got to have a few Amstel Lights this evening with my sister and her new fiance. (Shhh, I told my mom I only had one.)

I did make the nurse laugh by spewing out some bullshit right after I came out of the anesthesia by mentioning that I was a card-carrying member of the infamous gang - The Bloods. When she inquired about my work, I said that I was a clam shucker in Nova Scotia (which is something I tell people quite a bit these days). She did not believe any of this tomfoolery.

Then I went home and took a long nap.

Tomorrow I am off to the Baltimore/D.C. area for the weekend so you will not hear from me until next week. I-95 is calling my name. And I get to see my beautiful and talented girlfriend, so I am excited. See you next week and be safe out there on All Saint's Day.