Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Oh Craig, what would we do without thee?

In this age of computers, we have created a large sector of people that cannot compete in normal society. That's where Craigslist comes in. I ask you this: Where would you be without Craigslist at this very moment?

I know I probably would not be where I am today without the aid of the eponymous dot org. (That being an apartment with hardwood floors and central air in Red Hook, Brooklyn.) I also wouldn't have either of the two jobs I currently hold. Oh, and I wouldn't have roommates to share my space with either. In fact, I would be standing up right now as I type this because the chair I am sitting on was purchased on Craigslist.

While many people shape their lives with the aid of Craigslist for jobs and apartments, others take it to the next level. Now, you can really buy, sell, lease or give away virtually anything on Craigslist from an opulent seaside retreat in Amagansett to a ratty old paper towel holder. You can find a lover or a hooker or get legal advice. My favorite section of Craigslist has to be Activity Partners. In a city of 8 million people, we are now resorting to an anonymous free website to find people to do things with. Here a few interesting posts up there today. These are just titles and the first few sentences.

  • Ladies-Free Sailing Day Trips! Want a Hamptons experience while never leaving Manhattan? Come take a free day trip on a 50-foot luxury yacht! -We’re looking for well-educated women who want to learn to sail or just enjoy a party on the high seas. (I can't help but wonder if this guy has some ulterior motives; otherwise maybe I would get an invite too.)
  • Looking for communication partner or ayone know the best book to read - I am asian. Or anyone known the best book to read. Thanks (This is a bit vague. The New York Times Book Review is a pretty good resource. Or perhaps Amazon.com. I also don't see what being Asian has to do with this. Are you looking for Asian materials? You did not make this clear. Please advise.)
  • I Go To The Hudson Valley (gorgeous country/forest) Every Weekend. Hi there, I'm a cool/successful and entirely non-threatening guy who lives in BK, works in SoHo for a Green Architecture/Engineering firm, and recently bought 31 acres in the gorgeous Hudson Valley - My land is along the Hudson River and between the Berkshires and Catskill Mountains. (I wouldn't be inclined to trust someone who wants to whisk me away into the wilderness, as non-threatening as he claims to be.)
  • Guitar Lessons for Bodywork - Experienced guitar player and songwriter will teach you to play guitar in exchange for bodywork (massage only, no sex). (Just go get a massage from a professional. This is just awkward.)
  • Meet Other Pet Owners.....Safely (I didn't bother reading the rest of this one. It just seems that the pet owning population is a safe enough bunch as it is and I can go outside and meet lots of pet owners walking their dogs or talking about how cute their cats are.)
  • Looking for female kissing partner - I am looking for female partner who loves long passionate kissing, long long kissing. I am male, 33, east asian/indian, live in queens, clean, d/d free. You must be over 23, clean, female. Race is not important, but being hygenic is. Maybe we can be friends and meet sometimes and kiss a lot. (Ladies, I would stay away. Far away.)
  • GROUND ZERO MEMORIAL TOMORROW MORNING. WOULD LOVE COMPANY. female plus - I am a medic living here post 9/11 for various reasons would love to have your company tomorrow morning for the memorial. if you were affected, I have broad shoulders maybe a coffee afterwards? (Using a tragedy to try to get laid? That's just wrong. Very very wrong.)

There a lot more of these unusual, freakish posts all over Craigslist. I haven't even gotten to the M4W, M4M, T4m sections. I feel like getting tested for syphilis just by reading the Casual Encounters section. What did all these people do back in B.C. (Before Craigslist)? Did they just wait around the house hoping and wishing there was a way to find a group of strangers to play badminton in Flushing, Queens with or did they actually leave the house and try to meet people the traditional way?

By the way, does anyone want to go to some open houses in Park Slope with me next Sunday? Preferably an Asian female who will call me "Big Daddy" all day? Let me know. (No sex necessary but a massage would be nice.)


No comments: