Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Stealing candy from a baby

Almost every day on the subway, some delinquent gets on the train and starts in with a speech. "Hello ladies and gentlemen. I am not selling candy for a basketball team; I am selling candy to put money in my pocket so I can stay out of trouble. I have M&Ms and Skittles..."

That's great kid, but if you really want to stay out of trouble, just stay the fuck out of trouble. How hard is it? You already realize that you are prone to trouble and you claim to want to stay out of trouble, so just do that and leave us alone. How could an extra $5 in your pocket a day keep you out of trouble? I don't get it. The last thing this city needs is a bunch of little thugs and thugettes running around with a pocketful of cash. Go to school, go to work, go to church (there's not much trouble there I hear), play basketball, join the choir, play tiddlywinks - whatever. There are a fuckload of resources available to you in this city that do not involve solicitation. The Big Brother program, Boys & Girls clubs, church youth groups, the YMCA. Don't let rich kids have all the fun. If you see a drug deal or a shooting, go somewhere else. It's that simple.

For instance, if I want to stay out of the sun, I stay out of the sun. I wear sunscreen, stay indoors during midday and generally be sensible about it. I DO NOT steal candy and then try to get my fellow straphangers to buy it to put money in my pocket so I can afford to do indoor activities. Even if I have no choice other than to be outside, I would try to stay in the shade.

And another thing, I think I would rather support a legitimate basketball team than your personal quest to stay out of trouble. At least I could help an entire team stay out of trouble instead of just you.

If you truly want to stay out of trouble, just do it. I think that's the slogan of your favorite sneaker brand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You really think they steal that candy? Dumbass!