Monday, January 28, 2008

This Old Shirt

Ten years have gone by, nearly to the day, since I have had this deep hunter green Polo by Ralph Lauren long sleeve pullover collared shirt with a red pony, size L (made in Bolivia), the very shirt I am wearing as I type.

I remember the day when it was purchased like it was yesterday. It was a brisk, clear Sunday afternoon in January of '98 and my father and I were shopping at the Short Hills Mall in New Jersey. We arrived at the mall in his '95 Audi, which was a similar color to the shirt that would later be purchased.

My father went shopping for sport jackets and trousers (as if he needed any more clothes) while I immediately ran to the Polo section and decided on the shirt. It was (and still is) a beautiful, comfortable shirt indeed. 100% machine washable cotton (non-chlorine bleach only), tumble dry low, $59. I paid $50 with my gift certificate and $9 in cash. I actually couldn't wait for school the next day so I could premier my newest acquisition.

While I have shirts older than this that are still part of my extensive wardrobe, this shirt remains a key player unlike a few of them purchased in '96 that I wear under sweaters or only to do yard work.* This shirt I wear around the house, in public and everywhere in between. It's been to Italy with me. Twice, and more recently, Portugal where I even walked on the beach with it on when the winds picked up. I'll admit that it has faded a bit over the years, but it still serves its purpose as a casual shirt that goes well with jeans, khakis and corduroys. Whether I'm lounging around the house watching HGTV, going to therapy, shopping at Fairway, downing a few pints at the pub or playing golf on a cool spring or autumn day, this very versatile shirt fulfills its duty with aplomb and style. I've worn it under wool coats on cold winter days and with shorts on cool summer nights.

A lot has happened in my life since this shirt was purchased during my freshman year in high school.
  • It took me through my formative high school years where I would learn how to get rejected by women and develop a voracious smoking habit.
  • My shirt took me through college, where I would continuously be rejected by women and continue to smoke and drink very heavily.
  • I lost my virginity with this shirt in my dorm room closet.
  • I graduated college and moved out on my own to Brooklyn, taking the shirt with me, where I have moved from Midwood (for a week) to Gowanus (for two months) to Clinton Hill (six months) to Red Hook (present), worked in various jobs, lost many real estate deals and got rejected by more women.
  • With the shirt hanging comfortably in my overcrowded closet (among a plethora of similar Polo shirts that never wear out) in Red Hook, I met the woman of my dreams who I am still dating. The shirt probably had nothing to do with it because it's not really a lucky shirt; it's just a shirt that I like.
  • While in possession of my shirt I have gone through five cars: A forest green '97 Jeep Wrangler, a fire engine red '94 Saab 9000 Aero**, a black '99 Volkswagen Passat GLX, a slate blue '06 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T (which I still have) and a tan '06 Ford Explorer that my company provides for me. The sixth car, another company Explorer (a black '08) is on the way and my shirt will still be with me.
  • This shirt remains with me through my cancerous period of life which is the present. I don't wear it for luck. I wear it because of its comfort and durability.

It's been worn probably 1,000 times and washed almost as many and I'll probably still have it in another 10 years where it will remain an integral part of my wardrobe. If you have known me in the past 10 years, you've probably seen me in this shirt and you will see it again.


*Which is to say, never.

**Which was a really cool car, but caused me nothing my heartache and cost my parents a fortune to maintain so that their favorite son could drive his dream car.

No comments: