Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Gentry By Default

Try as I may, I just can't seem to intimidate people. It's not that I'm particularly diminutive in size or look like a faggot or anything, I just look too gentrified. Even when I leave my house unshaven with my ripped jeans and ratty sweatshirt, I still have an air of gentry about me. It must be my pseudo-hipster Yves Saint Laurent glasses and my understated yet elegant mechanical Swiss watch, neither of which I ever leave my apartment without.

Or perhaps it's my overall demeanor that screams "gentry." Even if I dressed in a thugged out way and wore a do-rag and baggy convict jeans, I still don't think I could scare people on the street. I would just look downright silly and possibly mentally ill. Or it could look like I am poking fun at those of the non-gentry persuasion with my ghetto-tastic costume and get my ass beaten for that.

Black people, no matter how good looking and polished they may be during normal business hours, can intimidate wherever they go simply by changing into a hooded sweatshirt and a big puffy jacket and those big fucking jeans (or even just regular sweats or appropriately sized jeans). He could be the classiest guy at the office who wears perfectly tailored Brooks Brothers suits, shiny Bruno Magli shoes and an authentic Philippe Patek watch, but he could still intimidate Whites and Asians on the subway and in dark alleys at night on in his sweats on his way to spin class at New York Sports Clubs if he wanted to. I sure as hell would if I could.

And I don't give a rat's ass how fucking liberal you like to think you are, if you saw a black man approaching you on a deserted street that wasn't dressed in business or smart casual attire in say, Red Hook, Brooklyn, you would be a little frightened and instinctively start to walk faster or move to the other side of the street while hiding your valuables. Yes, even you, Ms. "I Love Diversity." If I, on the other hand, approached you? Eh, not so much.

I think the only black person that couldn't intimidate anyone no matter outfit he chooses to wear is Al Roker. And on this issue, there will be no debate.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, people seem to be intimidated by me, even when I wear a suit. Believe me this is not a trait I like. You should be glad that women don't clutch their purses or cross the srteet when they see you coming down the block. It has bothered me since I hit puberty and still does. Thank you for reminding me that the color of my skin will always make me a threat.

Anonymous said...

That's what I'm here for.