Monday, December 3, 2007

Come and knock on our door...Actually please don't.

I share an apartment with two females, and whenever I tell people that, they say "oh, just like Three's Company." However besides the fact that I share living space with two women, our situation does not resemble the 70s sitcom at all. Here are the ways that my living situation is different.

  • I did not have to pretend that I was a homosexual to be granted permission to live with two women.
  • My apartment is much larger than the one that Chrissy, Jack and the brunette shared so we all have much more privacy.
  • I barely communicate with my roommates and when I do, it's usually via email.
  • I don't have a friend who is constantly over that tries to hit on my roommates.
  • I do not meddle in their lives, particularly when it comes to dating. In fact, I know very little about their personal lives and don't really care.
  • I do not try to get into their pants as Jack often did.
  • We don't have an eccentric landlord that constantly pops in and interferes with our lives. He usually calls 48 hours in advance if he needs to get into the apartment to do electrical work.
  • We don't go on little outings together to the zoo or the beach. In fact, the three of us have never spent time together at all.
  • The two girls I live with do not share a bedroom. In fact I'm not sure if they even know each other's names.
  • We don't have frequent misunderstandings.
  • We don't really care about one another and worry if someone didn't come home the previous night.
  • I never try to sneak into one of the bathrooms whilst they are doing their ablutions.
  • We don't cook for each other.
  • We don't try to set each other up on dates.
  • We don't hang out together at the Regal Beagle (or whatever that place was called). In our case, it would be the Hope & Anchor or the Bait & Tackle. At any rate, we never go anywhere together.

So, really this is nothing like Three's Company and I'm perfectly happy that way. It's not a hostile, Wuthering Heights type of environment, but we maintain comfortably separate lives, which is the way it should be in modern roommate shares.

No comments: