Wednesday, December 5, 2007

We Salute You Mr. Wisecracking MTA Bus Operator

This evening I had the most entertaining bus ride of my life. I was coming home on the B-61 bus from Jay Street and had a refreshingly humorous bus operator. I was on the phone with my beautiful and talented girlfriend* and discussing the improv classes I would be taking on Tuesday nights when I heard the driver say into his microphone, "Tuesday nights...Tuesday nights, what time?"

I burst out into laughter and replied "probably eight." I soon ended my phone conversation because I really didn't feel like him repeating the potential side effects of radiation treatment that I was going to tell my girlfriend to the B-61 community.

He then said, "Next stop Court Street and the B-63 or whateva." I laughed aloud again and even turned off my iPod so I could enjoy the rest of his humor.

A woman was on the phone and giggled about something and the driver mimicked her. I laughed again and noticed that I was the only person on the bus that was enjoying this. He then proceeded to say something else which elicited laughter on my part and followed up with a "just keepin' it real."

Turning down Kane Street towards Columbia he admonished a woman against standing near the rear door saying that the last person that did that fell out and that he didn't want to have to stop the bus to pick her up off the ground.

On Van Brunt Street, he said, "Next stop, Verona Street - gateway to the Red Hook Housing Projects - the magic kingdom!" At that point I almost lost control and realized that had the driver been white**, he never would have gotten away with saying that. I, on the other hand, probably shouldn't have been laughing, but it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

If I were a bus driver or a train conductor, I would be like him. Why does everything have to be so solemn? We're all miserable and have pointless jobs. May as well have a little fun while we're at it.

As I exited the bus at Wolcott Street*** , I made it a point to exit at the front and tell him how much I enjoyed the ride. He entertained me and I provided the laugh track in the background. I should ride the 9:22 p.m. B-61 from Jay Street more often.



*She reads this blog.
**I have never seen a white bus driver employed by the MTA.
***Also home to Hope & Anchor Diner which, according to the driver, should be renamed to "Hook & Anchor" being as it is in Red Hook. I agree.

1 comment:

B.A. Baracus said...

I saw a white woman MTA bus driver on my way down from the upper east side, but of course that was in Manhattan, the "wonder bread, white picket fence, and people who might be afraid of a black bus driver" section of NYC.