Sunday, February 10, 2008

I'm liked, but not "well-liked."

Often I wonder what people think of me when they meet me. I am a tad complex. I can be unfailingly polite and charming one day and abrasive and offensive the next.

Last night I went to friend's birthday party in Hoboken and immediately started ranting to two people I had never met before about evangelical Christians and how disturbing it is that there are between 50 and 80 million (!) evangelists living in America. I then proceeded to discuss televangelists and mega-churches that are becoming ever-so-ubiquitous in the red states. Meanwhile the two people (victims) I chose to speak to had no interest whatsoever in anything that I had to say and the two friends I arrived with went to the other side of the room. The couple I was lecturing had no idea what Christian fundamentalism was all about in the first place, yet I continued to rant about it until they eventually moved in to the living room, leaving me alone at the kitchen counter with a tray of lukewarm cocktail franks, a bottle of Smirnoff Vanilla and no one to talk to.

Apparently, religion is one of those taboo subjects that we're not supposed to discuss. However, I do not give a rat's ass whether people want to listen to my rants about how money hungry these mega-churches are and the fact that they accept credit cards, have ATM machines on premises along with Starbucks coffee establishments. A little different from the Catholic church I grew up with.

Then, today I decided to call 311 to inquire about whether muni-meters function on Sundays. I know that regular parking meters are suspended on Sundays, but was not sure about the muni-meters. It turns out that muni-meters are free on Sundays as well. I chose to tell the 311 representative that she was the most articulate 311 person I had ever spoken with. Then I started to discuss the fact that the reason that we do not have to pay for metered spaces on Sundays is for the sake of religious worship and asked if I should pay for the meter anyway due to the fact that I was not going to a place of worship. Then I asked if she thought that the Jews felt slighted on their Sabbath because parking meters certainly do appy between sundown on Friday and sundown on Saturday. Her response: "Is there anything else I can assist you with today?"

If these calls are really being recorded for quality assurance purposes, someone must have had a good chuckle over that one indeed.

3 comments:

carole okeeffe said...

I understand perfectly and it has become clear to me since my husband died in January that people liked him more than they liked me. I think I already knew that, but what has become painfully clearer is that they didn't like me at all.

When I don't talk people stay clear of me. When I do talk people move away. Whatever can I do with that information? I've decided to be alone, which has been decided for me, really.

I don't think I will ever be asked out on a date. I'm sad about that.

One time (have I lost you yet?) I dressed up and put on mime face thinking that if I looked different, especially different from my ordinary self, maybe people would be more into me. They weren't. That was another sad revelation.

I originally linked up with your essay because I thought "I am liked, but not well-liked," is a quote from Death of a Salesman."
I still think so and I will leave you to your pondering self now. Hang in there; you sound like a nice guy to me; gentry even.

Anonymous said...

You have to express more your opinion to attract more readers, because just a video or plain text without any personal approach is not that valuable. But it is just form my point of view

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand the concluding part of your article, could you please explain it more?