Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Happy Ash Wednesday!

What a week we are having. First, the Giants won the Superbowl in the unlikeliest manner and Eli Manning, who we all thought would be searching through Craigslist job postings by mid-season, was the Superbowl MVP and now gets to ride around in a Cadillac Escalade Hybrid that Michael Strahan would probably prefer.

Then there was Super Tuesday. Did you vote? I didn't get a chance to due to my chemo and improv, but it didn't matter because my candidate, Hillary, won New York anyway. Yesterday also marked the eve of then Lenten season. Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, whatever you want to call it. I participated in none of those festivities, because a.) I felt like shit and 2.) I'm not really an observant Catholic these days.

I gave up on the whole Catholicism thing in college, at a Jesuit institution no less, when I decided that I was tired of being a slave to the papacy. So, to fit in, I used to stick my finger in my ashtray and print a cross on my forehead with my finger. No one knew the difference and the priests approved when I ran into them that day.

Let's face it, we are all, in some way, slaves to something. Alcoholics are slaves to the drink, junkies are slaves to the drug, workaholics are slaves to the job and Catholics are slaves to the Pope.

The thing that gets me about Lent is how ridiculous the rules are. Meat is not to be eaten on Ash Wednesday or on any Friday during Lent. Why? We are supposed to sacrifice. However, fish is perfectly acceptable. The last time I checked, tuna steaks at the Fairway were $18.99 a pound and ground beef was $3.99 a pound. And I sure as hell would rather have the former. This means that according to the Pope, it is perfectly acceptable to gorge yourself on lobster and jumbo shrimp on Fridays, but consumption of a simple hot dog is grounds for eternal damnation. The Pope did, however, make an amendment allowing the Irish to eat corned beef if St. Patrick's Day happened to fall on a Friday. What the fuck kind of hypocrisy is that?

I think the rule should be: You can't eat anything that you like on Fridays during Lent. You must eat plain porridge, the kind that is served in orphanages in England. If you happen to like porridge, you must pick a different food that you are averse to such as cauliflower. No fish, no pizza, no pasta, no rice, no bread, no fruit. Nothing that you like. If I were the Pope, I would implement that rule instead of the no meat on Friday. It's terribly dated and does not apply to today's prices at butchers and fish markets. In the olden days, Catholics were prohibited from eating meat on all Fridays throughout the year, then they changed it to just Lent.

So, this Friday when choosing between a turkey sandwich and a tuna sandwich for lunch, just remember, that the bible says nothing of this! This is a man-made rule, one that will be obsolete during the next Papal administration.

No comments: