Monday, May 19, 2008

A Major Breakthrough

After 15 years, several therapists and God knows how many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of psychoanalysis, my current therapist articulated what she thinks is wrong with me.

I am passive aggressive.* Yes, passive aggressive. But apparently I have a lot of pent up hostility and anger and instead of being hostile and petulant all the time, I redirect those feelings in a congenial way to subtly irritate those around me without them really noticing. (They may notice, but I'm so goddamn pleasant, that they can't fully hold me accountable.)

Apparently, I am angry at my mother, a woman I admire and adore, who would do anything for her son. I am angry at her because she is nervous and thus made her children nervous. I turned out to be a neurotic, self-loathing, depressive, prematurely bitter, self-entitled obsessive compulsive.**

This passive aggressiveness could work out in my favor. Now that I'm pretty much finished with the whole cancer thing, I could use my passive aggressive nature as an excuse. "Sorry I was late to work today, I got caught up redirecting my pent up hostility towards innocent bystanders." "But officer, you see, I was speeding because I secretly resent my mother for being so overbearing."

When I suggested that everyone is passive aggressive to a degree, my therapist simply shook her head and said that they weren't. Who is to say that I'm wrong?

*No one really knows what that precisely is, but people use the term constantly.
**But I'm still not as damaged as my sister.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

living with a mentally ill, overbearing, and nervous(which is the smallest understatement possible) is a curse in which i wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. i wish i were never born sometimes.

Anonymous said...

living with a mentally ill, overbearing, and nervous(the biggest possible understatement) MOTHER is a curse in which i wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. i wish i were never born sometimes.